History

In the early 1930s, the Red Cross of the Ukrainian SSR owned 119 medical, 206 preventive and children's institutions, a fourth of all anti-tuberculosis dispensaries, 36 health facilities, 800 baths, 300 paramedics and midwives, 400 pharmacies and sanitation and hygiene stores. Sanitary aviation units were founded, sisters of mercy, sanitary wives and instructors were trained.

In 1938, 6,111 institutions of the Red Cross Society of Ukraine were transferred to the People's Commissariat of Health Care of the USSR. 8 hospitals, 50 polyclinics, 33 dental laboratories, 144 pharmacies, 17 medical facilities, 62 disinfection bureaus, medical equipment enterprises in Kyiv, Poltava, Vinnytsia, Odesa, Kharkiv, Zaporizhzhia were transferred free of charge.

At the end of 1943, the Kyiv Medical Institute, where the university committee of the Red Cross started its activities, resumed work in Kyiv. The committee was engaged in anti-epidemiological and preventive work in Kyiv, donor aid to hospitals, care for the sick and children. The institute was headed by Levko Medved, at his call, student-volunteer detachments began rebuilding this institution, the institute's children's and obstetrics and gynecology clinics, and clinical departments for women in labor. Academicians M. Semashko, O. Bogomolets, L. Gromashevskyi, O. Marzeev, and M. Strazhesko cooperate with the Red Cross.

The Red Cross Society of the Ukrainian SSR, which was part of the Union of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies of the USSR, was transformed into an independent Red Cross Society of Ukraine after gaining independence of Ukraine, which became a member of the international Red Cross and Crescent movement. The Society was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross on September 29, 1993 and by the decision of the IX session of the General Assembly of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, which took place from October 25 to 28, 1993 in the city of Birmingham, Great Britain.

In July 1999, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine adopted the Law "On the Symbolism of the Red Cross and Red Crescent in Ukraine" in accordance with the requirements of the 1949 Geneva Conventions on the Protection of War Victims and their 1997 Additional Protocols. The law defines the procedure and conditions for the use and protection of the emblems of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent on the territory of Ukraine.

By the 2020s, there are more than 10,000 supporters and activists of the Red Cross Society of Ukraine in Ukraine: 5,700 members of the Society, 800 employees and about 2,000 volunteers. The society works in cities, villages, and even in the most remote settlements. Volunteers and employees teach first aid, help and care about the socially vulnerable segments of the population and those who find themselves in difficult life circumstances. The Red Cross Society of Ukraine is one of the first to respond to emergency situations and helps overcome the consequences of natural disasters. The Red Cross mobilizes all possible resources and appears where humanitarian and social assistance is needed.